Search This Blog

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Hello!


Hi there.

I'm going to make an effort to post a new mix on this here site once a week. Chances are it will be every two weeks though. Eventually I will have contributors that will help me keep this site active.

As a fan of music, all kinds shapes and sounds, I will post recommendations from time to time. I would like to someday include vinyl rips on this site also. But that will be in the future. Far future.

I hope you enjoy.

5 Albums that have really been giving me a boner lately:

1. Baby Huey - The Baby Huey Story
One of my favorite Soul/Funk/R n B albums I have ever heard. About two days after I got this album I saw the trailer for the looks-to-be-awesome film JCVD and coincidentally it features one of my favorite songs on the album, "Hard Times." I cant wait to see the movie.

2. Eagles of Death Metal - Heart On
This seems to be my favorite of theirs so far. Their sound gets progressively fuller with each album and they seem to have gone from a sort of fun novelty band to and actual real fun rock n roll band. Fellas, if you want sexy chicks all up in your business, rock this shit.

3. Squarepusher - Just A Souvenir
This album weirds me the fuck out. Its been awhile since Ive listened to a whole album of Squarepusher. I would describe this album as "Shiney Gross." Meaning a lot of it sounds like weird samples and songs you would find on a Peanut butter Wolf mixtape or you would find on some strange record you would buy for fifty cents and a goodwill. But fuck, it all stays in your head and won't go away.

4. Harvey Milk - Life...The Best Game in Town
YES! Its funny how adding Joe Preston to the group made this band sound a lot like the Thrones. That's not a bad thing as far as I'm concerned. This is one of the best albums to come out this year.

5. Bohren und Der Club of Gore - Dolores
Spooky jazz from Germany. I am a big fan of these guys. They used to be a hardcore band from what I hear, but somehow over the years morphed into this. It reminds me of a David Lynch movie or something kind of like that. For mellow nights.

6. The Heroine Sheiks - Out of Aferica
I don't know much about this band except that it's the singer from The Cows new band. I think this is their third album, but I am not sure. Anyway, this shit is all over the place in just the right way and silly as fuck. Rockin' also.

7. Triumph of Lethargy Skinned Alive to Death - Old Jail EP
Im gonna warn you now: You are gonna see a lot of these guys on this blog. A lot of people have nothing but hatred for this band which both doesnt surprise me cuz people are retarded, but also blows my mind because I cant help but feel genuine excitement when I see them play or listen to their albums. This is another band that is all over the place with each album having a different thing going on with it. This EP is my favorite thing they have released yet. band features Spencer Moody (Dead Low Tide, Smoke and Smoke, Rabbit Ears, Hookers, John and Spencer Booze Explosion) and Dann Gallucci (Modest Mouse, A Gun Called Tension, Deathwish Kids), who were both in one of my all-time favs, The Murder City Devils. Corey Brewer (aka Merchbot 2000 to MCD fans) co-founded the band with Moody, and in the last couple years they added Gallucci, Andrea Zollo (Pretty Girls Make Graves), and an awesome fellow named Joel Cuplin who seems to play bass and saxaphone. Anyways, if you like to hear bands that do different things check them out. I have posted a link to their myspace in my Rad Awesome section.

Thats it and thats all for now.

1 comment:

Dolly7Fingers said...

After reading what you wrote about 'Bohren und Der Club of Gore - Dolores', I REALLLLY want to hear it. Please.